MAKING the most of seasonal events like Christmas can be a great way to attract shoppers.
• Premier Foods reckons retailers should use off-shelf displays to shift shoppers out of their routines and encourage impulse purchases of seasonal cakes.
And the firm aims to grab a large slice of the festive cake market this Christmas, helped by the launch of two new lines – Mr Kipling Gingerbread Whirls and Cadbury Snow Cake Bars.
“The Christmas ambient packaged cakes category shows year-on-year growth and is a huge sales opportunity that all retailers can capitalise on,” said Lisa-Jo Harvey, senior brand manager for Mr Kipling.
• Building on what it sees as consumer desire for premium cake treats during the season, United Biscuits has launched the new McVitie’s Faves range. The list includes Merry Cherry Mini Rolls, Frosty Mint Digestive Slices, and Chocolate Fudge Cake Bars.
The Christmas cake bar Galaxy Mistletoe Kisses returns for the season alongside McVitie’s Penguin Yule Logs.
• Aryzta Food Solutions, home to Cuisine de France, says it is important for retailers to offer a good range of Christmas-inspired impulse products.
The company’s own range includes Winter Spiced Muffins, Mini Mincemeat Pies, and a Linzer Biscuit Star.
• Seasonal biscuits are worth £5.2m in the impulse channel alone, according to Nielsen research quoted by United Biscuits. Trade communications controller Hena Chandarana said: “Retailers should make sure they have their must-stock brands displayed prominently in store.”
The company’s own “must stock” items include McVitie’s Victoria, McVitie’s Family Circle and McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes Pole.
• Burton’s has introduced a new look for its range of Cadbury Christmas Biscuits this year, with a variety of formats for gifting and sharing. New to the line-up is the Cadbury Dairy Milk
biscuit tin, while in the value channel, Festive Friends is back, containing new biscuit characters, alongside the new Cadbury Santa’s Arctic Friends.
• Border Biscuits has a range of gift tins that includes six different carry packs, with biscuits from every range in the Border Biscuits family, a Deliciously Different variety, Shortbread, Classic, and Dark Chocolate Gingers.
The Border Biscuits gift tins start from RRP £3.99.