BLACK Friday has long been a major event in the calendar for retailers in the USA, and the last few years have seen a significant increase in popularity in the UK, with an estimated £810m spent last year.
With discounts predominantly focused on things like electrical goods, technology and toys, convenience hasn’t previously had much of a part to play. However, this year One Stop has announced it will be testing the water with a range of discounts across spirits, Christmas present battery essentials, soft drinks and beer during Black Friday weekend, from 27 – 30 November.
The offers will be teased to customers throughout November via promotional leaflets and social media channels with posters unveiled on all store windows during the weekend event.
Lizzie Reynolds, customer director at One Stop commented: “Whilst always working to give our customers great value every day with strong promotions, no one in the UK has really delved into whether the Black Friday event is relevant for the convenience market and whether our customers would like to benefit from hard discounts on the more everyday essentials during this period.
“We’re interested in exploring it this year and will look to evolve in future years if it’s a success.”
The offers One Stop will be running are:
1. Jack Daniel’s 70cl – was £26.99 / now £18
2. Russian Standard Vodka 70cl – was £14 /now £11
3. Energizer Ultra+ AA 4 pack, Energizer Ultra+ AAA 4 pack, Energizer High Tech Batteries AA 4 pack, Energizer High Tech Batteries AAA 4 pack – all half price
4. Carlsberg 440ml 10 pack – was £8 /now £6.50
5. Pepsi 2 litre, Pepsi Max 2 litre, 7 Up Free 2 litre – was £1.50 each / now £1 each