AS free-from foods join the mainstream, the demand for great-tasting and high-quality products is increasing. That’s the word from gluten-free product baker Kent & Fraser, which says consumers increasingly want free-from products which taste as good as, if not better than, traditional recipes.
“Kent & Fraser pride ourselves on providing consumers gluten- and wheat-free baked goods which are as temptingly delicious, if not more so, that conventional wheat-based biscuits,” said founder-director John Selby.
The company’s core boxed range includes Choc Chip Cookies; Chocolate Butter Crunch; Vanilla Butter Crunch; Lemon Butter Shortbread; Vanilla & Walnut Shortbread; Spicy Ginger Crunchy Cookies; Stilton & Walnut Biscuits and Sussex Farmer’s Savoury Biscuits. Recent additions include Fig & Hazelnut Crunchy Cookies and Toasted Almond Shortbread.
• Frozen cake brand Almondy collaborates with major brand names, such as Daim and Toblerone, to create gluten-free desserts. Recent NPD includes a Cadbury Chocolate Mousse & Almond Cake and a Philadelphia Almond Layered Cheesecake with Lemon.
• Unilever dessert brand, Swedish Glace, offers a sweet option for those on gluten-free, dairy-free and other restricted diets. The brand-owner says the lines offer “consumers a premium product that is both lactose- and dairy-free as well as vegan and Kosher, but benefits from the same great taste credentials and expertise in ice cream offered by Unilever UK.”
The Swedish Glace range of flavours includes Divine Chocolate, Juicy Raspberry, Smooth Vanilla, and Classic Neapolitan.
• The North Yorkshire-based Heck sausage company has created a gluten-free square sausage.
It has also added a Mediterranean chicken sausage that’s lower in fat and calories to the range. The RRP for a 400g pack is £2.99
Heck is listed by Tesco and Asda.
• Dell’Ugo Chilled Chickpea Fusilli and gluten-free Fresh Penne, made by pasta specialist Ugo Foods, have been listed by Wholefoods Market. Dell’Ugo free-from products are also stocked by Ocado and Waitrose.
• Swiss specialist producer Vegusto’s Cheese’ Sauce won the Store Cupboard Category at the Free From Food Awards 2014.